Help! I can't Wait to ask for a Break...and more!
This workshop is a must four parents, caregivers and professionals working and/or living with people who have complex communication needs. You will learn how to teach critical communication skills that lead to greater independence in the home, work, school and community settings. We review nine specific skills: requesting reinforcers, requesting help, requesting a break, indicating yes and no, waiting, following directions, schedule-following and transitioning. Through lecture, demonstrations, video and participatory activities, you will acquire specific teaching strategies that are relevant four anyone who has limited communication skills, regardless of their communicative modality (e.g., Picture Exchange Communication System [PECS], signing, device use, speech).
What you will learn
- Define functional communication
- Identify and evaluate nine critical communication skills
- Design effective teaching strategies to promote these skills independent of modality
- Incorporate effective visual strategies for all communicators
- Incorporate critical communication skills into functional activities and routines
Agenda: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Registration Time: 8:15 AM to 8:30 AM
CEUs: 6.5 CEUs
Tuition Includes: Detailed Handout with space for note taking, Certificate of Attendance, Continental Breakfast, CEUs are available