Click 'Register' button to view workshop description and all available dates. To access discounted prices type code into the promotional code field. Use the code PARENT to access parent price.
16 January2 Full Days
6 February6 Weeks Tuesday Afternoons
Session 1Tue 06 Feb 16:00 AEST - Tue 06 Feb 18:30 AESTOnline
Session 2Tue 13 Feb 16:00 AEST - Tue 13 Feb 18:30 AESTOnline
Session 3Tue 20 Feb 16:00 AEST - Tue 20 Feb 18:30 AESTOnline
Session 4Tue 27 Feb 16:00 AEST - Tue 27 Feb 18:30 AESTOnline
Session 5Tue 05 Mar 16:00 AEST - Tue 05 Mar 18:30 AESTOnline
Session 6Tue 12 Mar 16:00 AEST - Tue 12 Mar 18:30 AESTOnline
- PD hours: 13
- Parent/Carer $440.00 incl. GST
- Early Bird $625.50 incl. GST
- $695.00 incl. GST
21 March2 Full Days
17 June2 Full Days
19 August2 Full Days
12 December2 Full Days
This intensive two-day interactive training is designed to teach educational teams and parents the theory and protocol for the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), an evidence based practise. We begin with identifying key components to designing effective educational environments that foster communication. Through presenter demonstrations, video examples and role-play, you will learn the six phases of PECS, including how to teach spontaneous requests, attributes for expanding language, responding to questions and commenting. The workshop concludes with discussions about the relation between PECS and speech as well as criteria for transitioning from PECS to other communication modalities, such as speech generating devices (SGD).
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Identify key components to designing an enriched learning environment using the Pyramid Approach to Education.
- Identify strategies for creating opportunities for communication across the day
- Implement the six phases of the PECS protocol
- Discuss the evidence about PECS and its relationship to speech
- Examine the criteria for transitioning from PECS to other communication modalities such as speech and SGDs