Watch Demos, Download Users Guides, Register for Training, and Access Other Information to help get your learners started transitioning from PECS to PECS IV+
The digital communication solution from the developers of PECS:
- Create up to 20 customized digital PECS pages for the user to use to communicate
- Looks like a traditional PECS Communication Book
- Time-delay features specifically designed to facilitate speech development
- Customizable in-app voice speaks for users who are not yet speaking
- Picture Library Languages Available: English, Spanish, Japanese, French, German and Greek
Guidelines for Transitioning from PECS to a Speech-Generating Device
You can download the guidelines here.
Dr. Andy Bondy & Lori Frost, MS, CCC-SLP talk about PECS IV+
Description & Features
PECS IV+ is the solution for transitioning from PECS to high-tech AAC. For learners who have mastered phases I through IV of the Picture Exchange Communication System using traditional PECS books, PECS IV+ is the high-tech next step! From Pyramid Educational Consultants, the developers of the evidence-based and world-renowned PECS, PECS IV+ allows users to construct a multi-picture Sentence Strip™ via a dedicated Sentence Starter™ page and up to 20 digital PECS book pages for the in-app voice to speak.
Features of PECS IV+:
- Looks like a traditional PECS book with coloured, tabbed pages with VELCRO® strips and a Sentence Strip so you can create a PECS IV+ book that looks identical to your student’s PECS book
- Drag and drop pictures from the tabbed pages to the Sentence Strip just like with a traditional PECS book
- Switch between pages by scrolling between and tapping on different tabs
- Rearrange pictures on the Sentence Strip without having to delete pictures
- Clear Sentence Strips with a single button push or clear individual pictures by swiping them back to the book
- Includes over 1,000 Pics for PECS images
- Integrated features from the PECS protocol such as constant time delay for the in-app voice
Customise each book:
- Open or close the dedicated Sentence Starter page with a single touch
- Create 1-20 tabbed pages
- Up to 24 pictures per page
- Customise each page by number of VELCRO® strips, colour, category icon, and/or number of pictures on each page
- Use any of our included Pics for PECS images or add images from your photo library and the web
- Change text on pictures
- Put text on top or bottom of pictures, or remove text from pictures
- Change size of pictures
- Search function for the Pics for PECS library included
- Use included customisable synthesised speech (AVSpeechSynthesizer) or record your own speech
- Incorporate the research-based constant time delay for ‘reading’ the Sentence Strip to create opportunities for the student to speak
Select from included profiles or create new profiles to customise:
- How pictures are moved: tap, drag or both
- How to clear (reset) the Sentence Strip
- Visibility of Sentence Starter page
- Reading Sentence Strip left to right or right to left
- When to read the Sentence Strip: as each picture is selected or with a single tap of the “Speak” button after the Sentence Strip is completed
Track student’s usage:
- Day by day list of Sentence Strips constructed by the student
- Weekly and monthly analysis of most frequently-used pictures
Pyramid Educational Consultants does not recommend starting functional communication training with an app or a speech generating device because these high-tech options do NOT require the social interaction that is crucial to communication and is the cornerstone of the Picture Exchange Communication System. Functional communication training should begin with a traditional PECS Communication Book. Research has shown that most learners can learn phases I through IV of the low-tech PECS Communication protocol within 3- to 9-months.
Getting Started Guide
How to set up your first PECS Book with PECS IV+
Attend a Transitioning from PECS to SGDs Workshop
Attend a Transitioning from PECS to SGDs Workshop
Is your learner ready to transition to a Speech Generating Device? Do you need help selecting a device and/or preparing your learner for the transition? Learn more about the Transitioning from PECS to SGDs workshop here.
Request On-Site Consultation
Onsite Consultation is available for additional support. Visit the Support Services page for more information.
I am so happy with the PECS IV+ app that I feel it is important to let people at Pyramid who developed this app know how this has changed my family life.
I have a 5 years old son Neel with Autism who has been using PECS book both in special school and at home since he was 2 1/2 years old. He is a Phase 5 PECS user. Neel is nonverbal but has good understanding of about 200 regularly used words, phrases and commands. I have always been very proactive in taking photos, printing them, cutting and laminating them and carrying the book with us not just at home but outdoors as well. As his PECS words increased- the book got bigger and a bit more difficult to manage. Also as parents we always wished if Neel will ever be able to use some kind of AAC. We trialed the picture card maker app on iPad so he could make choices on which songs he wanted to see on YouTube but it wasn’t very successful. Others AACs were not appropriate for him.
Then 2 months ago I came to know that PECS have launched this app and I couldn’t wait to get it. So we bought an iPad mini to be used as a dedicated communication device and installed the PECS IV+ app on it. Neel learnt how to use the app in less than 30 minutes!! So nearly 8 weeks have passed and Neel automatically goes for his iPad mini so he can ask what he wants in a ‘manly voice’. As he is good in remembering spoken words, he is better with the app as the speech synthesiser actually says the word and Neel can remember what a new symbol stands more quickly.
No more cutting photos, laminating them and risking that my 20 month old will lose the photos from the book. This app is great and has literally changed our life! we take it everywhere.
I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU OVER AND OVER AGAIN to everyone who has contributed to making this app. Just like Steven Hawking, our little Neel also has a voice now !
Submit your own testimonial related to PECS IV+
We’d love to hear from you! You can contact us at email@example.com to submit your PECS IV+ testimonial.